Since the light was fading and all I had was my iPhone, only a handful of pictures I took in the autograph line turned out to not 100% suck. In order you can see:
1. HAO contemplating the crush of people about to ask for her autograph. She was incognito until some fan went “HEATHER O’REILLY!” and then it was all over.
2. Poor Lauren Cheney hobbling through the line; one boy enthusiastically high-fived her, congratulated her on her WWC performance, then hugged himself with glee at having spoken to her.
3. MY GLORIOUS CANADIAN STALLION, MY SUN AND STARS, CHRISTINE SINCLAIR.
4. Baby Horse at halftime after her warmup.
5. Leslie Osborne making her way to the fieldhouse. Ya’ll, Osborne is super sweet. She took a few pictures and promised she’d come back for autographs.
6. Yael Averbuch! Who is tallllll.
7. My queen, Kelly Smith. I also have a grainy picture of her with her hands down the back of her shorts while she tucks in her shirt in the middle of the damn field. It was super awk.
8. Alyssa Naeher, who did pretty well in goal. Ain’t no shame to say you got scored on by Marta and Alex Morgan.
9. LeBiebs and HAO hugging. Far far in the background you can see Aya Sameshima being interviewed. Right after this HAO slipped away like a ninja and quietly escaped from the crowd to go have dinner with Leslie Osborne.
Guys. The energy at this game was AMAZING. Attendance topped out at 6k+. Breakers games are usually fun, but the level of adoration for all the players was so intensified from the WWC that it was hard not to get swept up in it all over again. If WPS can capitalize on this momentum, there’s definitely hope for the league. It didn’t hurt that it was a nice, energetic game. The teams weren’t quite cohesive, but I wasn’t really expecting that with everyone finally coming back after the cup. A- experience instead of A++ due to the loudmouth next to me who just had to make a clever quip about every play.